Wednesday, November 4, 2009

My Very Own Room/Mi propio cuartito


My Very Own Room/Mi propio cuartito

Written by: Amada Irma Perez
Illustrated by:

Elementary Grades

"I woke up one morning in a crowded bed in a crowded room," begins this warm bilingual story of a young Mexican American girl's search for her own space in an overflowing house. Because the eight-year-old narrator shares a room with five brothers, she climbs trees to find quiet and longs for a room of her own. Behind a flour-sack curtain, she finds a storage closet with possibilities: "I imagined it with my own bed, table, and lamp--a place where I could read the books I loved, write in my diary, and dream." Working together "like a mighty team of powerful ants," the family moves the closet's contents to the back porch and helps the girl create her own room. The naive-style, tropical-colored paintings, reminiscent in places of mural art, illustrate the frustrations of too-little space, the tenderness between the girl and her mother, and the family's loving resourcefulness within the cheerful chaos. An excellent choice for libraries in Hispanic and migrant communities, this book will resonate with all young ones growing up with limited space and resources."

Booklist Review


Online Resources:
http://www.amadairmaperez.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment